- Get Involved
- Oregon 4-H Outreach
- International Elementary Camp
- Migrant Middle School Camp
- Multicultural Summer Camp
- Oli Part l
- OLI Part ll
- Oli Part lll
- Oli Part IV
- Outreach Leadership Institute
- Educational Soccer Tournament
- About Outreach
- Outreach Staff
- Programs and Activities
- Program Resources
- Successful Outreach Practices
- County Outreach Programs
- Sustainable Communities
- How to Apply for Govt Jobs
- Camps and Tours
- Awards and Recognition
- Challenge and Adventure
- Global Citizenship - International Exchange
- Academic Year Hosting Opportunities
- International Exchange - Inbound
- International Exchange - Outbound
- Activities for Youth
- Delegate - Reports and Photos
- Resources for Staff and Volunteers
- Science Rich Learning (SRL)
- ATV / Tractor Certification
- 4-H After School
- Forms & Info
- Pagina Principal
Norway & Finland - Outbound
Delegates have the opportunity to travel to Norway or Finland in alternating years in a direct exchange with Norway and Finland 4-H Programs. In 2017, the delegates will be traveling to Finland with 4-H youth from across the U.S. and will live with a Finnish host family during their stay (note: a host sibling of similar age is not guaranteed and delegates may have more than one host family). Youth will have the opportunity to explore the nation's capital in a two-day orientation upon arrival and will also get to visit the midieval walled city of Tallinn, Estonia at the end of the trip. The delegates will be accompanied by an adult chaperone that will provide travel and in-country assistance.
Informational flyer and program cost
Cost is $2050 plus airfare (current airfare estimate is $1700-$2500).
Payment may be made in three parts.
The program/airfare fee includes
* In-Finland costs (transportation, meals, lodging)
* A portion of the adult chaperone expenses
* Accident & Sickness Insurance
* Pre-departure orientation in Oregon
* Pre-trip conference calls, orientation materials and States' 4-H t-shirts
* National orientation in US gateway city on June 18th
* Two-night orientation and sightseeing and cultural excursions in Helsinki upon arrival
* Excursion trip to Tallinn, Estonia and overnight departure de-brief in Helsinki at conclusion
* Roundtrip airfare from home state to Helsinki
How to participate
Any youth, ages 15-18 (must turn 15 by the date of travel and no older than 18 during exchange period; must not be in college) whether 4-H or non-4-H member is eligible to apply. To apply for this program, youth must submit the materials listed below.
**Note: The application packet must be completed and arrive in Corvallis prior to November 30th for consideration!
* Outbound Participant Application Form. The application includes a photo of the applicant, a 1-page essay, a letter of introduction to the host family, short answer questions, cultural project description, and comprehensive release.
* Participant Reference Form. Two references required; one from the County 4-H Agent and one from a non-relative adult such as a teacher or guidance counselor. If the agent does not know the applicant well enough, the applicant must schedule an interview with the agent. References should be collected in a sealed envelope or sent directly to Oregon 4-H International Programs.
* Deposit: $1000 check payable to: States' 4-H International Exchange Programs
* Scholarship application (optional)
Mail completed applications to: Oregon 4-H International Exchange Program State Coordinator, 106 Ballard Extension Hall, Corvallis, OR 97331-3608
Delegate application and selection process
All potential delegates will be interviewed between December 1st-12th via phone or Zoom. Applicants will be asked why they want to go to the country they have selected, what they hope to learn, how they plan to prepare for the trip, and other questions deemed appropriate by the state coordinator.
Applicants will be notified the first part of January if they have been selected as an Oregon delegate to participate in the program and about any scholarship awards. Final selection of delegates for Norway/Finland exchanges will be at the national level as there is a maximum number that the host country is able to accept.
Additional needed material and due dates
Due by January 25:
* $2,000 second payment
Due by February 22:
* Medical Form completed by medical provider and based on examination which occurs within one year of date of departure
* Copy of photo/signature pages of passport
Due by April 26:
* Final payment of program/airfare fees